McMonnies' Dry Eye Questionairre
1. Have you ever had drops or other treatments prescribed for Dry Eyes?
2. Do you ever experience any of the following dry eye symptoms:
3. How often do your eyes have these symptoms?
4. Are your eyes usually sensitive to cigarette smoke, air conditioning or central heating?
5. Do you eyes become very red when swimming?
6. Are your eyes dry or irritated the day after drinking alcohol?
7. Do you take anti-histamine tablets?
8. Do you use Anti-histamine eye drops?
9. Do you take diuretics? (fluid/water tablets)
10. Do you suffer from Arthritis?
11. Do you suffer from dryness of the nose, mouth, throat, chest or vagina?
12. Do you suffer from thyroid abnormalities?
13. Are you known to sleep with your eyes partly open?
14. Do you have eye irritation on waking from sleep?
Gender: Age Score
Male or Female Under 25 0
Male 25-45 1
Female 25-45 2
Male Over 45 3
Female Over 45 4
This questionnaire was developed in the 1980's by McMonnies' & Ho. It is used to evaluate the presence of dry eye.
Answer the questions as honestly as possible and the add up the score of your answers. A score of above 10 will indicate the presence of dry eye, however, a score of over 20 will indicate clinically significant dry eye.
This simple test will indicate the presence of a dry eye problem but will only give a crude measure of it's severity. If you would like to classify the severity in more detail please click below to be taken to the Ocular Surface Disease Score questionnaire.